Renting FAQs

How do I get started?

MICM Property has the largest rental portfolio of inner city Melbourne apartments and real estate. Our website, which is updated daily, offers the best place to search for rental properties to suit your needs and budget. Our specialist leasing team are dedicated to finding tenants their perfect home and can be contacted seven days a week on (03) 9697 8800 to discuss your rental requirements.


How do I inspect a property?

MICM Property conducts open for inspections on a weekly basis and a list of  weekend open for inspection times are available on our website from mid-week onwards. Our leasing team recognises that it is often difficult for prospective tenants to make it to scheduled open times and will generally accommodate “by appointment” inspections to suit your schedule.


How do I apply for a property?

Once you have found and inspected a suitable property, you will need to lodge a  Tenancy Application Form  . When inspecting properties, it is a good idea to bring along reference details and identification in the event you would like to fill in a Tenancy Application Form on the day.


I require a furnished property, what are my options?

We offer furnished and unfurnished apartments to suit your needs. View the full list of  furnished propertie  . Alternatively, if there is an unfurnished apartment that you prefer, we can arrange for it to be partly or fully furnished within 24 to 48 hours, and the additional cost can be included in your rent.


What is a Residential Tenancy Agreement?

When your application to lease a property has been accepted, you will be asked to sign a Residential Tenancy Agreement (or lease), in keeping with the Residential Tenancies Act 1997. This is a legal contract between you and the landlord that details the terms and conditions of the tenancy. The Residential Tenancy Agreement will include items such as the property address, rental amount, and commencement and end date of the tenancy.


How long will it take for my Tenancy Application to be processed?

On receipt of your Tenancy Application, one of our staff will contact you within 1-2 working days to advise if your application has been successful.


How much money do I pay when commencing a lease?

Before moving into the property, you will be asked to pay the first month’s rent in advance, as well as a refundable bond which is usually equal to six weeks rent if the weekly rent is more than $350 per week, or one month’s rent if the weekly rent is under $350 per week. Your first month’s rent and bond must be paid to us by bank cheque or Direct Debit. The bond is held by a centralised government body called the Residential Tenancy Bond Authority (RTBA). You will be asked to sign a Bond Lodgement Form to lodge the bond with the RTBA. The RTBA will send you a receipt within 14 days of bond lodgement.


What options are available for payment of my rent?

MICM Property only accepts Direct Debit payments, allowing you to pay your rent from the account of your choice on the due date.


Do I have to pay for anything other than rent?

You must connect all the services to the premise such as the water, gas and electricity. If you would like a telephone line you will need to arrange for this to be connected and pay the relevant connection fee. It is also advisable to arrange contents insurance to cover your personal possessions in case of theft or damage.

You can connect your telephone, electricity and gas with  DirectConnect  in one simple step, with no additional charges. Further information will be provided to you at the time of lease sign up.


What is a Condition Report?

Prior to moving in to the property, your property manager will supply you with two copies of the Condition Report, which details the condition of the property. Once you have moved in, it is important to check that the Condition Report accurately reflects the condition of the property. Any changes should be noted on the Condition Report and a signed copy returned within three days of move in. Your property manager will refer to the Condition Report at the end of the tenancy to determine whether you are eligible for a full bond refund.


Can the rent be increased during the lease?

The rent is set for the fixed term of the lease agreement. However, after the fixed term has expired the rent can be increased by the agent or landlord by giving the tenant 60 days notice in writing. There must be at least six months between each rental increase.


What are the regulations regarding property inspections?

Agents or landlords have the right to make one general inspection every six months, however, not within the first three months of tenancy. Twenty four hours written notice must be provided before an inspection. Inspections may also be conducted for other purposes such as for repairs or maintenance, or to show the property to prospective buyers.


What should I do if a maintenance issue arises?

MICM’s dedicated maintenance team provides a speedy and professional response to all maintenance issues. If repairs or maintenance are required, you will need to lodge a  maintenance request. Further information regarding maintenance procedures will be provided to you at the time of lease sign up.


Do I have to give notice when I want to vacate the rented premise?

You must give twenty eight days written notice when ending a tenancy agreement. A vacate notice can be completed and submitted via our website.


Can I vacate before the end of my lease?

You can vacate a property before the end of your lease, however you must pay any costs in finding a new tenant, and rent until the new tenant moves in.


How do I get my bond back from the Residential Tenancy Bond Authority (RTBA)?

Your property manager will arrange for a Bond Claim form to be signed and sent to the RTBA. The RTBA then transfers the bond money to your bank account. If there is damage to the property, or rent owing, the landlord may claim some or all of the bond.

Sign up for the weekly sales report