The Residential Tenancies Regulations 2021 (RTR) now requires all residential rental properties to undergo an annual Smoke Alarm Safety Service, a two-yearly Gas Safety and Carbon Monoxide Service and a two-yearly Electrical Safety Service (Services).
MICM Real Estate has a duty of care to all our clients to minimise risk and liability and to comply with the new legislation, your property/properties have been opted into this service.
Consumer Affairs Victoria: https://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/housing/renting/changes-to-renting-laws
Smoke Alarm Safety
Safety checks on smoke alarms must be checked annually.
Fee: $99 + GST
- The residential rental provider must ensure that:
- Each smoke alarm is correctly installed and in working condition.
- Each smoke alarm is tested according to the manufacturer’s instructions at least once every 12 months.
- The batteries in each smoke alarm are replaced as required.
- The residential rental provider must immediately arrange for a smoke alarm to be repaired or replaced as an urgent repair if they are notified by the renter that it is not in working order. (Note - Repair or replacement of a hard-wired smoke alarm must be undertaken by a suitably qualified person.)
- The residential rental provider, on or before the commencement of the residential rental agreement, must provide the renter with the following information in writing:
- Information about how each smoke alarm in the rented premises operates.
- Information about how to test each smoke alarm in the rented premises.
- Information about the renter’s obligations to not tamper with any smoke alarms and to report if a smoke alarm in the rented premises is not in working order.
- The renter must give written notice to the residential rental provider as soon as practicable after becoming aware that a smoke alarm in the rented premises is not in working order. (Note - Regulations made under the Building Act 1993 require smoke alarms to be installed in all residential buildings.)
Safety checks must be carried out in accordance with the relevant Australian Standards (AS/NZS 3019) and that the appropriate registration and documentation is issued.
Fee: $219 + GST for properties up to 3 bedrooms
Fee: $279 + GST for properties of 4, 5 and 6 bedrooms
- The residential rental provider must ensure that an electrical safety check of all electrical installations, appliances and fittings provided by a residential rental provider in the rented premises is conducted every 2 years by a licensed or registered electrician and must provide the renter with the date of the most recent safety check, in writing, on request by the renter.
- If an electrical safety check of the rented premises has not been conducted within the last 2 years at the time the renter occupies the premises, the residential rental provider must arrange an electrical safety check as soon as practicable.
- On and from 29 March 2023, in relation to electrical safety, all power outlets and lighting circuits in the rented premises are to be connected to:
- a switchboard-type Circuit Breaker that complies with AS/NZS 3000, “Electrical Installations”, as published from time to time; and
- a switchboard-type Residual Current Device:
- AS/NZS 3190, “Approval and test specification—Residual current devices (current operated earth-leakage devices)”, as published from time to time; or
- AS/NZS 61008.1, “Residual current operated circuit-breakers without integral overcurrent protection for household and similar uses (RCBOs): Part 1: General rules”, as published from time to time; or
- AS/NZS 61009.1, “Residual current operated circuit-breakers with integral overcurrent protection for household and similar uses (RCCBs) Part 1: General rules”, as published from time to time.
Gas and Carbon Monoxide Safety
Safety checks must be carried out in accordance with relevant Australian Standards (AS/NZS 5601 and AS 4575) and appropriate registration and documentation is issued.
Please note this Service price does not include the replacement of any parts or supply of any materials.
MICM will be contacted in relation to any URGENT issues and we will contact you. All other non-urgent issues will be quoted and you will be contacted.
Fee: $159 + GST for 1 gas cooktop only
Fee: $249 + GST for 2 gas appliances
Fee: $359 + GST for 3 or more gas appliances
- The following gas installation checks —
- that LPG cylinders and associated gas components are installed correctly;
- that appliance gas isolation valves are installed where required by AS/NZS 5601.1 "Gas installations", as published or amended from time to time;
- that gas appliances and their components are accessible for servicing and adjustment;
- that the gas installation is electrically safe;
- that clearances from appliances to combustible surfaces are in accordance with installation instructions and AS/NZS5601.1 "Gas installations", as published or amended from time to time;
- that there is adequate ventilation for appliances to operate safely;
- that gas appliances (including cookers) are adequately restrained from tipping over;
- checking the condition of gas appliance flue systems including chimneys; checking gas appliances for evidence of certification; and
- Testing gas installations for leakage; and
- Servicing gas appliances as follows —
- a clean of all dust and debris from appliances including burner, pilot, fan, filters and air intakes;
- a check of the integrity of the heat exchanger;
- a check of the gas supply and appliance operating pressures;
- a check that the gas appliance burner ignition is reliable and complete;
- a check for any gas appliance flame abnormality;
- a check of the operation of the gas appliance, including safety devices;
- a combustion spillage test in accordance with Appendix F of AS4575 "Gas appliances—Servicing of Type A appliances", as published or amended from time to time, after service or repair of the heater;
- The safety-related activities in subclauses following 2 points only apply if the rented premises contain any appliances, fixtures or fittings which use or supply gas.
- The residential rental provider must ensure that a gas safety check of all gas installations and fittings in the rented premises is conducted every 2 years by a licensed or registered gasfitter and must provide the renter with the date of the most recent safety check, in writing, on request by the renter.
- If a gas safety check has not been conducted within the last 2 years at the time the renter occupies the premises, the residential rental provider must arrange a gas safety check as soon as practicable.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Am I able to use my own Contractor/s to have my electrical, gas (if required) and smoke alarm safety checks completed?
A: MICM has been in consultation with several different safety check providers and Smarthouse is an independent Contractor and most aligned with our values. Smarthouse has a full understanding of the safety checks required under the new regulations and they will issue a full report with all the regulatory checks addressed and will deal directly with our Compliance Officer should any urgent matters be identified.
MICM will ONLY be able to work with Smarthouse as dealing with Rental Providers’ Contractors becomes problematic. We have an obligation to all our clients to provide a Contractor known to complete the thorough checks for smoke alarms, electrical and gas as per the regulations. This will minimise risk for all parties.
MICM has negotiated a very competitive price schedule with Smart House in relation to the legislated safety checks.
For a two-bedroom apartment, with one gas appliance/cooktop, the total price over a two-year period would be $576 + GST of $57.60.
Q: Is there a discount if I own more than one property managed by MICM?
A: Given that MICM have negotiated the best price, unfortunately there is no discount on offer for Rental Providers with more than one property.
Q: How can I be sure that my property meets the Minimum Standards as per the new regulations?
A: Please use the link above that list the minimum standards that apply to every Residential Rental Property in Victoria. If you would like a professional report completed by an independent Contractor specialising in the minimum standards required, please speak to your Property Manager for further details.